Update to the bestseller now features the latest release of the Android platform
Android is a powerful, flexible, open source platform for mobile devices and its popularity is growing at an unprecedented pace. This update to the bestselling first edition dives in to cover the exciting new features of the latest release of the Android mobile platform.
Providing in-depth coverage of how to build mobile applications using the next major release of the Android SDK, this invaluable resource takes a hands-on approach to discussing Android with a series of projects, each of which introduces a new feature and highlights techniques and best practices to get the most out of Android.
- The Android SDK is a powerful, flexible, open source platform for mobile devices
- Shares helpful techniques and best practices to maximize the capabilities of Android
- Explains the possibilities of Android through the use of a series of detailed projects
- Demonstrates how to create real-world mobile applications for Android phones
- Includes coverage of the latest version of Android
Providing concise and compelling examples, Professional Android Application Development is an updated guide aimed at helping you create mobile applications for mobile devices running the latest version of Android.
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
From the Back Cover
Build unique mobile applications with the latest Android SDK
Written by an Android authority, this up-to-date resource shows you how to leverage the features of Android 2 to enhance existing products or create innovative new ones. Serving as a hands-on guide to building mobile apps using Android, the book walks you through a series of sample projects that introduces you to Android's new features and techniques. Using the explanations and examples included in these pages, you'll acquire the foundation needed to write compelling mobile applications that use Android, along with the flexibility to quickly adapt to future enhancements.
Professional Android 2 Application Development:
Wrox Professional guides are planned and written by working programmers to meet the real-world needs of programmers, developers, and IT professionals. Focused and relevant, they address the issues technology professionals face every day. They provide examples, practical solutions, and expert education in new technologies, all designed to help programmers do a better job.
- Reviews Android as a development platform and¿best practices for mobile development
- Provides an in-depth look at the Android application components
- Details creating layouts and Views to produce compelling resolution independent user interfaces
- Examines Intents and Content Providers for sharing data
- Introduces techniques for creating map-based applications and using location-based services such as GPS
- Looks at how to create and use background Services, Notifications, and Alarms
- Demonstrates how to create interactive homescreen components
- Explores the Bluetooth, telephony, and networking APIs
- Examines using hardware, including the camera and sensors such as the compass and accelerometers
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.